About the project
Greensborough is a vibrant and sought after community with many people choosing to live, work, study or play in the area. Parking management is important so that Greensborough remains well visited and accessible.
The Plan helps ensure Greensborough grows economically, with great amenity, accessibility, walkability and remains a great place to be.
To help us develop the Draft Greensborough Parking Plan, we audited the carparks in the Greensborough study area. The audits were done on a Thursday and a Saturday (to capture work and leisure activities). These audits showed the availability and use of car parking in the area, helping us decide what is needed for the future. We also met with a variety of stakeholders to identify their parking concerns. Stakeholders included the local primary school, churches, Greensborough RSL, WaterMarc and the Greensborough Chamber of Commerce.
The key findings and recommendations highlighted below work to ensure that the Draft Greensborough Parking Plan will meet community parking needs into the future.
23 May 2019 - Thanks for all your comments so far on the draft Greensborough Parking Plan. We received some comments around wanting more information about place making and promotion of sustainable transport options in Greensborough. We have uploaded the Greensborough Transport Masterplan (see document library) which has more detail on Council's direction in giving more priority to walkability, safe cycling and public transport accessibility and services.
What we found
The key findings of the car park study are:
- Greensborough Activity Centre has over 7000 available public car park spaces which is sufficient for current needs.
- Most visitors stay in Greensborough for less than one hour.
- Parking is in highest demand at midday on weekdays with 80% of car parking spaces in use during this time.
- Visiting hours have spread out over the day since 2006, with the activity centre being operational for longer hours.
- An increase in visitors is expected over the next 20 years as Greensborough develops.
What we recommend
The following recommendations have been made and included in the Draft Greensborough Parking Plan:
- Car park improvements; improved lighting, improved pedestrian facilities, disability parking provisions, electronic parking signage and maps to all day parking.
- Promotion of other transport options.
- Increased parking enforcement.
- Apply trader and developer parking provision requirements in line with similar activity centres.
- Development of more car parks to be considered in the longer term, if needed.
Have your say
Thanks for your comments on the Draft Greensborough Parking Plan, your feedback will be used to finalise the Greensborough Parking Plan and help make it a reality. Feedback is now closed.