The policy, together with the toolkit provide guidelines, advice and resources for our officers to navigate the design, provision and evaluation of engagement opportunities, and the utilisation and sharing of community engagement findings.
Within local government settings it is recognised that there are 6 different types of engagement practices:
- Strategic – to inform strategic decisions related to policy, plans or programs
- Statutory – to obtain feedback to inform statutory approvals related to policy, plans, programs
- Research – to obtain evidence to review or design services programs
- Dialogue – to enable an ongoing dialogue with the community
- Transactional – to respond to queries or concerns
- Awareness – to create awareness through local media or other avenues.