Social Enterprise Strategy and Action Plan 2020 - 2025
What are social enterprises?
Social enterprises are businesses that:
- are driven by an economic, social, cultural, or environmental mission with a public or community benefit
- receive a substantial portion of their income from trade
- reinvest the majority of their profit into the fulfillment of their mission
There are over 3,500 social enterprises in Victoria operating in almost every industry sector including retail, food and beverage, education, manufacturing and media. Social enterprises contribute $5.2 billion to the state economy and employ an estimated 60,000 people.
Social enterprises operating in Banyule include, Asylum Seeker Resource Centre Cleaning, Chancez Cafe, Community Grocer, Fruit2Work, Renew Australia, Sports For All, Sycamore Tree Cafe and The Social Studio.
By working in partnership with the social enterprise sector, local government can deliver better outcomes for the local economy and for society; our Social Enterprise Strategy 2020-2025 and Social Enterprise Strategy Action Plan 2020 - 2025 outline our plan for working with and supporting social enterprise.
About the project
The Social Enterprise Strategy 2020 - 2025 and the Social Enterprise Strategy Action Plan 2020 - 2025 are a first in local government.
Our strategy addresses the Victorian Government’s Social Enterprise Strategy at a local level. It supports the growth and sustainability of the social enterprise sector and responds to local challenges and market needs. It also helps create new jobs and workforce participation that support local people facing barriers to employment to get and stay in meaningful work.
Informed by community consultation and research, the Strategy shows how we will provide leadership and support to develop the social enterprise sector over a five year period. The Strategy also shows how we will lead new economic opportunities within the community.
The four key focus areas of the strategy are:
- Advance place-based social enterprise innovation
- Build business capacity and capability
- Improve market access
- Increase community awareness and engagement
The Social Enterprise Strategy 2020 - 2025 and Social Enterprise Strategy Action Plan 2020 - 2025 respond directly to our Council Plan (2017-2021) vision of a ‘green, sustainable and vibrant place for a healthy, connected and inclusive community’. The Strategy also meets key directions under the Council Plan strategic objective ‘People: Strong, Healthy and Inclusive Communities’, and has links with several key initiatives across the Council Plan.
Have your say
What we did
The Social Enterprise Strategy 2020 - 2025 and the Social Enterprise Strategy Action Plan 2020 - 2025 are informed by policy, research and best practice in social enterprise along with extensive consultation that included:
- surveys and workshops with community members, subject matter experts, government and Council staff
- review of relevant international, national, state and local policy and plans
- review of information relating to barriers to development and best practice in social enterprise