We asked for your help to shape what the Morwell Avenue, Watsonia car park extension will look like and asked for feedback on the draft designs. Thank you for your feedback, the consultation phase has now closed.
We have analysed the consultation findings and have made some changes to the designs.
Changes made to the concept designs include:
- traffic islands alongside driveways for improved access to and from private residences in Morwell Ave (North)
- tree planting as screens to eliminate headlights from shining into private residences
- Angle parking bays changed to parallel parking and a parking lane to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow in Morwell Ave (North)
- Increase of landscaping to improve the look and feel of the carpark.
- 44 carparks are provided (reduced from 55 in the original designs)
Construction of the car park extension is scheduled for completion by mid 2019 with works likely to commence in April 2019. The exact timeframes will be confirmed in 2019.
Developing a vision for Watsonia
In 2014 Council worked with the local community and government representatives to develop the Picture Watsonia document. This document set a clear vision for Watsonia's main shopping street, the railway station and car park.
Over the past months we have been working with the North East Link Authority and others to plan for the car park extension. Funds have been allocated for the design and construction in our 2018/19 budget. We now want to check in with the community and see what you think about the proposed car park extension.
Depending on the final designs we think the works will take about 4-6 months to complete. These works are scheduled to occur within the 2018/2019 financial year.
During the construction phase we will work to minimise the impacts. However, you may notice some dust, noise and increased truck and traffic control vehicle movement during this period. Signage will be in place to safely guide local residents and visitors.
Have your say
Why more car parking?
One of the objectives of Picture Watsonia is to increase the number of car parking bays to better meet the needs of the local community. The design of the new car park also creates future opportunities to create better cycling and pedestrian paths and more leafy open space.
What we are doing
This project includes:
- extending the existing car park, westward towards High Street, to create over 40 additional car parking spaces.
- Landscaping the site with native plants
- Improved lighting
This project involves consultation about the designs as well as the actual construction of the new carparks.