The new grants structure was approved by Council on 8 April 2019. The new programs will be available from 1 July and will include:
- A Green Training Fund to assist environmental volunteers to access capacity building training.
- Business Energy Audits to provide businesses with a list of potential energy saving initiatives that will improve their energy performance.
- Youth Climate Action to support 14 – 24 year olds to lead climate action in their school or community.
- Community Workshop Funding to assist community organisations to deliver sustainability focused workshops.
Climate change action
Climate Change is an important issue for Council. In December 2018 our Councillors unanimously recognised that urgent action is required across all three levels of government to tackle climate change. We are leading on behalf of our local community and have established a target of achieving carbon neutrality by 2028. The resolution also established an exciting new Climate Change Action Package.
The Climate Change Action Package will see additional funding for projects that will reduce Council’s emissions, such as energy efficiency measures and renewable energy. We will also explore the long term plan for Council and determine how we can provide greater support to the community.
Over the course of the year we will be consulting on a number of different actions, so keep an eye out!
We are now reviewing our Environment Grants program and need your help - let us know what you think.
The Environment Grants were established in the mid 90's, to motivate the local community, ‘friends of’ and conservation groups to develop various environmental programs and projects that benefit the community.
The grants support projects within the areas of:
- tackling climate change and achieving emissions reduction
- the conservation of resources
- reducing waste and pollution
- maintaining and enhancing the natural environment
- encouraging environmental stewardship
As a result of Council’s resolution, we are now reviewing the program to ensure the grants meet your expectations and address the barriers to environmental action from those who live, work or study in Banyule.