Key Urban Design Strategies
- Re-design of Morwell carpark to allow for a wide connection to RSL and shared path through the new carpark.
- Maximization of both Morwell pedestrian spaces and inclusion of activities. Clear North-South connection through shopping strip. Active recreation area. Inclusion of monopoles within the plaza with 4m clearance requirement. Possible activation of monopole bases.
- Removal of lattice towers to allow for other activities at the library extension area, inclusive of learning pods, story walks, gathering and open spaces. Passive recreation area.
- South Library area to include gathering picnic areas and shade structures with new vegetation and topography to include planting terraces. Extension of carparking.
Key Traffic Changes
- Morwell Ave is consolidated to an undivided carriage way at the south side, connecting directly to Grace St instead of Watsonia Rd.
- Removal of Ibbottson St connection and addition of new loading bay to service the library. Removal of roundabout and replacement by long shared crossing providing two main safe crossing areas: general public and shared footpath inclusive of bicycle riders.
- Swept paths to allow bus turns for left in/left out movements between Grace St and Watsonia Rd.
- Ibbottson St closure will need to be assessed as design progresses to allow for appropriate turn around area for Council waste truck and library loading bay.