The Ivanhoe Aquatic & Fitness Centre is a key recreational facility for the community and was established in the mid 1980s following a redevelopment of the original outdoor 50 metre pool which was developed as the training facility for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games.
In 2012 a Masterplan was developed to address the ageing infrastructure. As part of this process and to ensure that the facility continued to meet the community’s needs into the future, we undertook an extensive program of consultation and research.
Stage 1 of the masterplan was completed in 2015 and included:
- Increased size and layout of the gymnasium and group fitness space
- Improved amenities and improved accessibility
- Improved reception area and a new social space for customers
- Refurbished Centre, both internal and external features
- Providing office and storage space for staff
Stage 2 of the Masterplan is now in the design phase.
In 2020 further targeted stakeholder engagement was undertaken to review the 2012 Masterplan and inform the development of a Draft Banyule Aquatic Strategy. Throughout 2021, several workshops were held to address the scope of this next stage and exploration of Sustainable Environmental Design (ESD) goals.
This stage addresses capacity constraints and ageing infrastructure associated with the aquatic hall and external spaces to provide additional amenity to support the health and wellbeing of the community.
Scope of works will include:
- Fixing and upgrading the existing 25m pool
- Additional program pool for learn to swim, aqua classes and warm water therapy and rehabilitation activities
- Interactive leisure water/aqua play equipment
- Spa and sauna upgrades and relocation
- New and upgraded change rooms
The project will deliver on Council’s commitment to net zero through an all-electric, 5 Star Green Star accredited facility outcome.
Construction is scheduled to commence in 2023 and completed by the end of 2024.
We developed some concept plans which address the ageing infrastructure associated with the aquatic hall and external spaces. The proposed changes will provide additional amenity to support health and wellbeing in the community.
Thanks for your feedback on the draft concept plans for the Ivanhoe Aquatic Centre Stage 2 Redevelopment. Feedback is now closed.