Key Urban Design Strategies
- Re-design of Morwell carpark to allow for a wide connection to RSL and shared path through the new carpark.
- Maximization of both Morwell and Library pedestrian spaces, linked by surface treatments. Clear North-South connection through shopping strip.
- Library extension inclusive of learning story walks, gathering open and activity areas. Library outdoors to be main square space.
- South Library area to include gathering picnic areas and shade structures with new vegetation and topography to include planting terraces. Extension of carpark.
Key Traffic Changes
- Morwell Ave. is consolidated to an undivided carriage way at the south side, connecting directly to Grace St instead of Watsonia Rd.
- Removal of Ibbottson St connection. Some re-distribution of traffic due to these changes. Removal of rondaboutand replacement by elongated median strip providing pedestrian refuge and safe crossing between areas.
- Movements between Grace St and Watsonia Rd would be restricted to left in/left out. Can be explored allowing right turns from roads/street as design options progress.
- Ibbottson St closure will need to be assessed as design progresses to allow for appropriate turn around area for Council waste trucks.