Key Urban Design Strategies
- Re-design of Morwell carpark to allow for a wide pedestrian connection to RSL and shared path through all areas and activities. Morwell Ave side is the main square space.
- Maximization of Morwell pedestrian spaces, with gathering and active areas, with a large shared zone connecting to library side. North-south connection through shopping strip.
- Library extension inclusive of learning areas, story walks and open green spaces. Library area to work as a green pod with new vegetation.
- South Library area to include planting terraces and extension to carparking.
Key Traffic Changes
- Morwell Ave. extented to provide connections to existing driveway and accessible through shared zone from Grace St only, instead of Watsonia Rd.
- Most significant change to traffic arrangements - volumes on High St and Grace St to be reviewed.
- Shared zone crossing on Watsonia Rd will require further review. Traffic volumes are likely to be high for a formal shared zone, however alternative crossing treatments could be explored in line with broader concept.
- Ibbottson St closure will need to be assessed as design progresses to allow for appropriate turn around area for Council waste trucks.
- Shared zone connection from Grace St to Morwell Ave expected to meet volume requirements.