We have been advocating since the NEL project was announced in 2017 to ensure it provides maximum benefit for the Banyule Community.
We continue to advocate for:
- Maximising of land coverage of the NEL through Watsonia to future proof development and amenity opportunities for Watsonia.
- An upgraded and raised Watsonia Railway Station with improved bus, pedestrian and cyclist accessibility and connectivity across the rail corridor, the North East Link and Greensborough Highway.
- A reduction of through traffic in the Greensborough Activity Centre and improved bus priority, walkability, and amenity.
- Public transport connections from the NEL Eastern Freeway Busway to services in Banyule.
- A safe and direct cycling and pedestrian connection from Greensborough Station to link to the M80 shared user path via Yando Street.
- A safe and direct cycling and pedestrian connection from Greensborough Station to Watsonia Station.
- The provision of gateway treatments adjacent to the NEL to showcase entry to Banyule
Advocating for related improvements to the road network including:
- Provision of a local road connection from Elder Street across the rail reserve and the NEL and Greensborough Hwy to access Watsonia Village Town Centre with bus priority.
- Upgrade connections from the North East Link to Diamond Creek Road and Yan Yean Road and improve safety at the Civic Drive roundabout
- A reconfiguring of Rosanna Road to improve its safety and amenity.
- A widening of the Bell Street-Banksia Street link to reduce Burgundy Street through traffic and improve pedestrian safety in the Heidelberg Activity Centre.
Achievements so far
- Influencing a NEL design modification to extend the land coverage of the NEL in Banyule to retain local amenity and allowing improved open space facilities at Borlase Reserve – note a further land coverage extension through Watsonia is currently being sought.
- Facilitating State Government delivered upgrades to sporting grounds and facilities (value $40M) including:
- Greensborough College – AFL oval, soccer pitch, and pavilion (2021)
- Binnak Park – Sports oval, cricket wicket and nets, pavilion, landscaping (2021)
- Ford Park – Oval, lighting, pavilion, public toilets, landscaping (2021)
- Windsor and AK Lines Reserves - Upgraded pavilions and facilities to be delivered at completion of NEL project (2027/28)
- Securing State Government funding towards:
- an upgraded Watsonia Village Town Square ($5.5M)
- the upgrading of shared user paths in Banyule including from Frensham Reserve in Watsonia to the Plenty River Trail in Yallambie ($3M)
- development of concept plans to improve cyclist and pedestrian connectivity across Banksia Street in Heidelberg to the Eastern Freeway Shared User Path at Burke Road North ($100,000)
- an upgrade of Trist Street Reserve in Watsonia North ($80,000)
- the construction of a shared user path connection and bridge from the Main Yarra Trail across the Yarra River at Heidelberg ($5M) – to be delivered by City of Manningham
For full details of what Council is advocating for to be delivered in the Northern package.