Ok, so what's the Plan?
The Banyule Public Toilet Plan sets out a ten year plan for the provision of Council owned and managed public toilets across the municipality. This is Council’s first Public Toilet Plan and we've developed it based on research and consultation with local communities, Council staff and others.
5 Key Objectives
Currently most of our toilets are ageing and don’t meet modern design and access standards. To improve the situation our Plan is based on the following objectives;
Distribution: Work co-operatively with key stakeholders, to ensure that there is a comprehensive and well-connected network of public toilets at key locations in all areas of high public activity in Banyule.
Hygiene & Maintenance: Maintain toilets managed by Council to a standard of cleanliness and hygiene to enhance the health and wellbeing of all public toilet users.
Accessibility: Ensure that public toilets are accessible to people of all ages and abilities and promote their location to all residents and visitors.
Design & Sustainability: Advocate for quality and environmentally sustainable design in all public toilet facilities.
Location and Siting: Improve the amenity and safety of public toilets through appropriate siting and design.
What toilets are going to be improved or changed?
We've developed a list of the specific locations and toilets that are planned for upgrade or change over the next 10 years. View the full list of our toilets and the 10 year plan here.
We conducted an audit of our 56 public toilets. Some of the key findings from the audit assessment are:
- A total of 43 public toilets (77%) in Banyule were identified as being in ‘average’ to ‘very poor’ condition.
- Four facilities (7%) achieved a rating of ‘very good’.
- Five facilities (9%), were rated in ‘very poor’ condition, due to poor safety, accessibility and design criteria.
- A total of 22 facilities (39%) were identified as ‘average’, scoring poorly against accessibility and safety criteria.
- Toilets classified as in ‘good’ condition achieved higher scores against design and siting criteria.
Have your say!
We would love to know what you think of the Plan and if you have any comments - the short survey below will take about 5 minutes to complete.