During 2017 we asked you about your experience with public toilets in Banyule. We used what we heard to develop a Public Toilet Plan and a ten year action plan for improving our public toilets. We have now created a set of draft designs for future toilets that we build.
Three different designs have been created to suit different sites and locations in Banyule.
- BASIC - this design includes 1 accessible toilet and 1 ambulant toilet which is slightly larger than a regular toilet and also includes handrails on both sides.
- STANDARD - this design includes 1 accessible toilet, 1 ambulant toilet and 1 standard toilet.
- PREMIUM - this design includes 2 accessible toilets, 1 ambulant toilet and 1 standard toilet.
Our new toilet designs include a range of features that will make them more comfortable to use as well as providing a much improved level of accessibility. They will also feature:
- Tiled surfaces on the inside
- Electronic locking - which means we can change when the toilets are open and closed according to the season
- Opportunities for local community art to be added to the outside of the toilets
- Better lighting (including natural light) and ventilation
- Mirrors and hand dryers.
Which toilets are being replaced?
During 2018/19 we are replacing the existing toilet at Yulong Reserve East, Bundoora with the basic design toilet block. To view other toilets which will be upgraded view the 10 Year Action Plan. Depending on the location and type of toilet being replaced or upgraded we will consult with those in the area about the new toilet.
Public Toilet Plan
The Banyule Public Toilet Plan sets out a ten year plan for the provision of Council owned and managed public toilets across the municipality. This is Council’s first Public Toilet Plan and we've developed it based on research and consultation with local communities, Council staff and others.
5 Key Objectives
Currently most of our toilets are ageing and don’t meet modern design and access standards. To improve the situation our Plan is based on the following objectives;
Distribution: Work co-operatively with key stakeholders, to ensure that there is a comprehensive and well-connected network of public toilets at key locations in all areas of high public activity in Banyule.
Hygiene & Maintenance: Maintain toilets managed by Council to a standard of cleanliness and hygiene to enhance the health and wellbeing of all public toilet users.
Accessibility: Ensure that public toilets are accessible to people of all ages and abilities and promote their location to all residents and visitors.
Design & Sustainability: Advocate for quality and environmentally sustainable design in all public toilet facilities.
Location and Siting: Improve the amenity and safety of public toilets through appropriate siting and design.
What toilets are going to be improved or changed?
We've developed a list of the specific locations and toilets that are planned for upgrade or change over the next 10 years. View the full list of our toilets and the 10 year plan here.
We conducted an audit of our 56 public toilets. Some of the key findings from the audit assessment are:
- A total of 43 public toilets (77%) in Banyule were identified as being in ‘average’ to ‘very poor’ condition.
- Four facilities (7%) achieved a rating of ‘very good’.
- Five facilities (9%), were rated in ‘very poor’ condition, due to poor safety, accessibility and design criteria.
- A total of 22 facilities (39%) were identified as ‘average’, scoring poorly against accessibility and safety criteria.
- Toilets classified as in ‘good’ condition achieved higher scores against design and siting criteria.