About the project
While traditional play and youth spaces such as playgrounds, sandpits and skate parks have an important role to play, to fully utilise the benefits of play and activity while still addressing the developmental needs of young people (cognitive, sensory, social and emotional), we need to think, plan and design in new ways.
We are preparing a Youth Spaces and Facilities Plan to ensure there are safe and appropriate facilities, places and spaces for young people to come together and socialise. This plan will help us develop and maintain youth friendly spaces, will allow young people to feel included within the community and will help us develop holistic, innovative and meaningful youth facilities, spaces and activities across Banyule.
The Youth Spaces and Facilities Plan will be prepared in alignment with the Banyule Youth Services Action Plan 2019.
This project has funding support from the Victorian Government.
We have undertaken youth spaces and facilities auditing and research, which will be complimented by an extensive schedule of community consultation including a mix of surveys, workshops and group discussions across:
- Banyule YouthFest
- Malahang Park
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Plus (LGBTIQ+) youth
- Young people of all abilities
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) community
- La Trobe University students
- Young parents groups
- Banyule and Nillumbik Youth Services Network
- Selected local secondary schools
- Relevant Council departments and staff
Thank you for your comments. Your feedback will help shape the Youth Spaces and Facilities Plan. Feedback is now closed.